Tuesday 21 June 2016

POPULAR KENYAN RAPPER NOW A FARMER

Known for his hits Tukumbukeko and
Hivi Ndio Kunaendaga, the rapper whom
some years back dropped out of a
criminology course in university to
pursue music, has decided to
supplement his music hustle by growing
cash crops.
He says: "Farming is like any other
business. You need to invest well. And
yes, farming is profitable."
Majirani, who is currently pursuing a
degree course in IT at Moi University, is
juggling school with music and farming
his 10 acre land.
"I began with five acres but this year
I'm doing 10 acres. For now I'm
practicing maize farming though I'm
still testing and weighing it's
productivity. Based on the result, I
might change and venture into other
crops," he says.
He adds that his interest in commercial
farming was a result of his curiosity,
when he tried subsistence farming.
"Last year, I did it for personal
consumption and the results were
amazing. I sold part of the harvest and
it made me some good cash," says
Majirani.
"This year, I decided to do it as a
business. Everything I will harvest will
be sold, since I have already identified a
ready market."
Majirani at his farm.
So, do you till the land alone or with the
help of your girlfriend?
Laughing, Majirani said, "I can't do it
alone. I pay people to work on my
behalf but always gets updated on the
progress."
"I don't have a girlfriend," he added.
The rapper urges the youth to look at
farming as a viable option of eking out
a living.
"I would like to advice all youth,
especially my fellows artistes, to never
take anything for granted. Farming can
change your life, let's stop depending on
music alone as a source of income."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...